Monday, October 25, 2010

MT. ROMELO




MT. ROMELO
LIMANG TALON SA BAGONG TAON
climbed: January 2-3, 2010

CHAPTERS
I NEW YEAR
II RAYMONDS BUS
III MULAHORSE
IV BURUWISAN FALLS
V BATYA BATYA FALLS

VI SOCIALS WITH MMS
VII SLASHED
VIII ENCOUNTER WITH LIMTIKS
IX SAMPALOC FALLS
X MY FIRST TRAVERSE








1. NEW YEAR

I wanted to start the New Year with a bang so I organized a light New Year climb. In 2009, my mountain climbing career was booming and I wanted to stay active because mountaineering has been a part of my life. The plan was to climb the easy trail of Mt. Romelo with a mission at hand: conquer its five majestic waterfalls.

Because it was the second day of the year, I knew it would be difficult to ask many of my friends to come. But luckily, I was able to convince four of my friends to come join me in my climb; Liz, Gino, Filimon and Wilson. Filimon and I met Liz and Gino at the Ministop store in North Edsa and the four of us met with Wilson at Raymonds bus station in Nagtahan. Liz was surprised to learn that she was the only girl in the group. And unlike the four of us, it was her first climb.






2. RAYMONDS
BUS

We were all excited and ecstatic upon arrival at the bus station. We were all looking forward to the promising day ahead. We decided to board the bus which was about to leave. Liz, the only girl in the group was the only one who secured a comfortable bus seat. The four guys stayed in front of the bus between the bus door and the driver.

The bus left the station and all smiles were on our adventurous happy faces. We stayed in front of the bus while it was picking up passengers from the street and it was not soon when the bus became full. The driver did not mind us staying in front because we were all filled with young, enthusiastic and vivacious spirits. The passengers, except us, were asked to move inside the bus. The front portion with a small chair was dedicated for the four of us. Filimon was the noisiest one. He cracked jokes and loud comments every now and then. When we were in Antipolo area, we were all astounded by the breathtaking view of the mountainous province of Rizal. After the long hours of passing through the rustic green towns of Rizal, we finally reached the first town of the province of Laguna: Mabitac.

After three hours of traveling, we reached the bus stop at Famy where the passengers were given a chance to stretch their muscles or pee. I bought food at the donut stand where an old lady begging for money approached me. I offered her my bunwich but she refused it. It surprised me that she was ‘choosy’. All she wanted was money, and not food. In the end I gave her a twenty peso bill and still offered her the food. She accepted both.
We boarded the bus again and after several minutes, the driver signaled to us that we reached the jump off point to Buruwisan falls of Mt. Romelo. We alighted the bus along with some other mountaineers, whom we did not see again. Maybe they were climbing a different mountain but it was Mt. Romelo which is the most popular in the area.






3. MULAHORSE

We were dropped off in a paved road in Famy and none of us had any idea where to go or where the trail starts. In order to ward off the locals who bug mountaineers to be contracted as guides, I pretended to call someone who will instruct us the way up to Mt. Romelo. There were locals who approached us but we pretended to have a companion at the campsite. We just nicely asked some locals to show us the path to the Famy trail. I knew that the trail to Mt. Romelo is straightforward and has no forks but finding its start was truly confusing.

When we were at the registration, a local approached us with a horse and offered to carry our packs. What is mountain climbing without backpacks at your back? So at first I rejected the invitation but sooner we gave in to his offer and contracted him and his ‘mulahorseAmihan. It was only Wilson who showed the true spirit of a mountaineer when he refused to let Amihan carry his pack. We registered and went on with Jayson and his ‘mulahorse

Amihan was a stubborn ‘mulahorse’. Her master had a difficulty in making her follow us to the trail. She walked out on us and Jayson had to run for her. We were still at the beginning of the trail and it was not looking good for us and to Jayson as well. I thought of ending the contract and just carry the packs ourselves. The second time that Amihan walked out on us, we were all weary because this horse could literally bump us on the trail because we were behind her. But after some time, it lessened its defiant behavior and followed Jayson. When we got to a leveled field, Jayson let his ‘mulahorse’ feed on the grass. And since then, Amihan did not walk out on us again. I figured out that the horse was just hungry. In the next grassland with an inevitable steep ascent, Amihan ate again as we took pictures while resting.








4. BURUWISAN FALLS

When we surpassed the dreaded steep ascent, we rested again. After several minutes two gays passed us and we learned that we were supposed to be joining them! A common friend was supposed to join forces with us in this climb because none of us knew the way up. The gays started to joke around with the four guys and comically threatened to push Liz from the top of the mountain. They went ahead of us and said that they would want it if we camp with them. But we were not too eager about it. When we reached the infamous Romelo River, there were several tents pitched already. I scrambled to get a good spot so I asked Jayson to show us the way to Buruwisan falls.


It was a very steep descent to get to the most famous and most accessible waterfalls in Mt. Romelo. But it was a relaxing feeling when we got there and realized that we secured a solo campsite for the five of us. The view of the waterfalls was a relief and before Jayson started to walk his way down the mountain, we asked him to take a shot of all five of us in front of the waterfalls.

When our excitement slowly diminished, a group of mountaineers descended Buruwisan falls and set up camp there as well. They are the Metropolitan Mountaineering Society or MMS. They were well equipped with portable gas tank, trekking poles, ropes for rappelling and complete kitchen utensils. Their backpacks and tents were marked with the most expensive and most popular trekking brand, The NorthFace. We joked around comparing our tent with them.

After setting up camp, Liz and Wilson cooked rice. Gino, Filimon and I explored downstream to conquer the second waterfalls of Mt. Romelo: Old Buruwisan falls. We reached the falls and peeked from its top. The bottom part of the falls can only be accessed through ropes but the view from the top was great. We went back to the Buruwisan campsite and a group of men with dark complexion arrived in the area. They did not look like mountaineers to me. The only prominent thing I remember from them was the guitar that they brought. Soon after, these men disappeared in sight.







5. BATYA BATYA FALLS

When the rice was cooked, we prepared to explore the upstream portions of the mountain. We went back to the Romelo river campsite where a store was located. We bought some stuffs from ‘nanay’. She then warned us to be vigilant because we camped at the Buruwisan falls area. At first she seemed to be apprehensive to give us the full details on why we should be careful. She asked us if we saw a group of men down the falls area and we said yes. She then repeated the warning to be watchful. But because our minds were filled with adventure and excitement, we thanked her and continued our way to Batya Batya falls.

Our guide that time was the river. The locals said that should we just follow the river upstream, we will be able to reach Batya Batya falls. It was an average trek with some stream crossing. We were not sure how deep the stream was so every time we pass by a stream crossing, we made sure to be close to each other. There were also parts when we detoured to trek the mountain rather than passing through the water, fearing that it was not shallow. Good thing Wilson had a zip locked plastic so all our valuables were spared from being wet. And after thirty or so minutes of following the river, we reached our third waterfalls – Batya Batya falls!

Batya Batya is a majestic waterfall not because of its height but because of the natural pool that it creates. It is said to be 18 feet deep, with the structure of a ‘batya’. We bathed in the falls and we decided to cross it using the long bamboo floating in it. I figured that the locals put it there for added protection as there are reports of drowning and even deaths in the Batya Batya falls. So yes we did a death defying stunt by crossing the 18 foot catch basin of the falls. It was another rush of adrenaline and blood to the head. Gino and Wilson acted as supporters of the bamboo. When all of us were sitting comfortably at the rocks where the water literally falls, we saw another smaller version of Batya Batya falls. Later on we learned that there were three natural pools that comprise Batya Batya falls. The first level and the biggest is Batya Batya. The second pool that we saw was Palangga-Palanggana. And the third level was Tabo-Tabo. The names of which were derived from the decreasing size of its pool as you go up.

The water in Palangga-Palanggana was a bit scary. It was enclosed so the tendency was the creation of a natural whirlpool. I was second guessing dumping into the pool, afraid that the current might pull me down. So we verified the deepness of Palangga-Palanggana. We used the floating bamboo in Batya Batya and measured the deepness of Palangga-Palanggana. And I was right that it was as deep as Batya Batya! Unfortunately, out of sheer desperation (and stupidity, because a bamboo will always float in the water) to measure the second level of the falls, the bamboo broke and fell into the first level. We did not explore the third level which was said to be Tabo Tabo because we were not comfortable diving in the second pool. One by one we jumped from the rocks to Batya Batya and swam the short distance to get to the shallow portions.







6. SOCIALS WITH MMS

We went back to our camp at Buruwisan falls and prepared dinner. Unlike our co-campers, the MMS, we were content with our viand of canned goods and instant food. We were invited by MMS to join them in their socials but we have not eaten yet. Another problem that we thought we would be facing was the possibility of a downpour. Little ounces of rain fell from the sky. The wind was chilly and we can only hear the sound of the waterfall. But we managed to eat our dinner and were ready to start our own socials when one of the MMS went over to invite us again. We closed our tent and headed to the socials grounds of MMS.

We were greeted by friendly smiles and the usual courtesy that mountaineers exchange with each other. We sat down and introduced ourselves one by one. The guest of MMS, Jenny, would be celebrating her birthday the next day. She was most fascinated with our group and individually interviewed us. She was very much convinced that we were all gays because we all did not have girlfriends at that time. She said that single men who were as good looking as us can only be single for one reason: sexual preference. With conviction, she pointed out that Filimon was the gayest and we all laughed. The conversation carried on with mountains as the topic while the shot glass was being passed around. Liz and I were mistaken as lovers because of our sweetness during the night. The conversation carried on between our group and MMS. I was half drunk but I still knew what we were doing.

Objections fired when the last bit of alcohol was poured to the shot glass. Most of us agreed that we were all ‘bitin’. I did not know what I was thinking when I volunteered myself to night trek my way up to nanay’s hut to buy some more brandy. Gino and I prepared our headlights and we went up the steep way to the Romelo river campsite. We knew we were not sober and one misstep can cost us our young lives. But it was an accomplishment to be able to night trek our way up to the store. We bought two Gran Matador and some powdered juice. If the ascent was hard, the descent was even harder. We were sitting while descending the steep trail. But finally, we reached the socialization area safe and sound.

The rest of the MMS woke Jenny up when it was twelve o’clock. I even exerted an effort to get our candles from my backpack to make her blow it. It was maybe because I liked her personality of being approachable and comfortable to us. Sir Mark, MMS member, did not seem to like my appreciation of Jenny’s good acquaintance. As a matter of fact, he dubiously taunted me of being drawn to her. I did not mind it at first; Jenny after all was a guest of Sir Jerome. We sang her a birthday song and the MMS brought out her birthday cake. After an hour or so, many were drunk already and some voluntarily surrendered. Some MMS members headed to their respective tents. Liz, Wilson and Gino also flashed the white flag and headed to sleep. When Filimon told me he could not handle his drowsiness, I was the only person left in our group to drink with some of the men of MMS. I felt like it was mandatory for me to stay since I was the expedition leader of our small group of five. I was not really drunk unlike Sir Long who was already transforming the rock his bed. And then there were three; Me, Sir Mark and Sir Jerome. We were drinking the last bottle, eating cake and the dust filled food on the plate and conversing with each other. I sensed that Sir Mark was already drunk and got a little arrogant. I was a little drunk and cursed twice as an expression. Minutes later, I felt something touched the left side of my face. It was a rock for heaven’s sake! Sir Mark hit me with a rock and he was really angry at me. I was shocked although I did not feel any pain due to the numbness from alcohol. Sir Jerome politely asked me to go back to our tent and he will take care of the things in the socials area. I followed him because the look on Sir Mark’s face uttered as if this man wanted to kill me.

Back to our tent, where everyone was still feeling the effects of the alcohol, I told Filimon about what happened with Sir Mark and Sir Jerome. Everyone was alarmed and woke up. Filimon warned of going out of the tent to confront Sir Mark but Liz was against the idea. Gino, on the other hand, seemed to not care at all and was still drunkenly floating in the air. Wilson was awake and I knew he was not that drunk too. So I told the story again and again and Filimon attempted to go out several times. I lie down and felt the alcohol in my system. I could not take the enclosed atmosphere of the tent. So I went out to breathe. I vomited. I decided to take a dip in the water forgetting that my cellular phone was in my pocket! It became dysfunctional. Liz went out to look after me. After vomiting yet again, my eyes closed voluntarily and out of sheer exhaustion and headache I found my way to a sound and comfortable sleep.












7. SLASHED

My sleep was very peaceful and undisturbed. I woke up and it was already broad daylight. I heard a commotion outside the tent. Wilson shouted, ‘Ay pati yung raincover ko kinuha! P*ta naman o..’. Filimon stated ‘Yung t-shirt namin sa may bato nawala rin. Pati sandals ko.’. Then Liz, ‘Sa kabila nga pati cellphone, digicam at pangluto nawala eh.’ I was startled! I immediately looked for my digital camera. Thank goodness it was in my pouch which I used as a pillow. I saw my tent and there was an eight inch slash in it! Then I realized that we were robbed! After my digital camera, the second thing on my mind was my newly bought Sandugo sandals! I hurriedly looked for it under the tent and I was shocked to see that only the left foot was there! And my other pair of Sandugo slippers was not there as well! I was flabbergasted. It was my Christmas gift for myself and that was the first time I used it and it was all gone! Damn those bastards! I went back to the tent to check what else were missing. The items robbed from me were my green shirt, my brother’s violet shorts and my Sandugo sandals. I was hit by a rock last night and then that morning I realized we were robbed, not to mention my tent being slashed, what a nightmare in Mt. Romelo!

One MMS member came in to check on us. After enumerating what they had lost, Filimon confronted him about what happened last night. He apologized and went back to their camp. Soon after, Sir Mark came in and talked to me. He apologized for whatever remarks he said and whatever actions he did. He claimed that he did not remember anything which Filimon found hard to believe. I was still bitter about it and though I shook his hands, I still made a remark about pushing yourself beyond your alcohol capacity. I somehow sensed his sincerity but it was still stupid on his part to transform into something cruel when drunk. My friends pointed out that maybe this guy had a crush on Jenny. Liz swore it was obvious. And because of the moves I did to appreciate her, he got jealous. But the night’s events were immediately foreshadowed by the stealing incident. Then we remembered nanay’s warnings the day before to be cautious and alert. Now, the puzzle was put perfectly into its place. The dark skinned men who surveyed the area the day before were there for a reason: to observe and to plot their terrible operation. No doubt that they were the culprit!

MMS immediately broke camp and headed home. Before leaving, they gave us something to munch on. They were supposed to rappel Old Buruwisan falls that day but their ropes, along with their other equipment were stolen. I was ready to end the climb as well. But we all decided to push through and do what we came there for: to conquer the five waterfalls of Mt. Romelo. But before we headed to our fourth falls, Filimon, Gino and I went to the forest to take care of one smelly business. It was my first time to take a dump in the forest! The thought of it was not thrilling at all but I could not handle my aching stomach. Filimon, Gino and I positioned ourselves and the air started to be filled with dreadful stench. It was my first time but I was glad to know that water in the area was plenty. After I did my thing, I picked some wet leaves and used it as instant wet wipes. And then we washed at the running river after! That was my first time!






8. ENCOUNTER WITH LIMATIKS

We conquered our fourth waterfall: Lanzones falls which was just straight to the path where we dumped our load. I was not very enthusiastic although the waterfall was majestic. I was still frustrated with the events that occurred earlier. I wanted to pay tribute to my sandals and my t-shirt and my brother’s shorts. Gino and Filimon took a dip in the water. I did not. I told them that I will just wash at the last waterfall. We went back to where we came from, bade goodbye to the Buruwisan falls area and had a stopover at nanay’s hut to ask for directions. There, we mentioned that we were robbed. Nanay advised us to report it in the barangay. She told us that there were also robbing incident last night in the Romelo river area. The suspects were indeed the men who examined the area the day before. After munching on some of the food that she sold to us, we headed to our fifth and final waterfall.

The hike to Sampaloc falls was intended to be long because it is the farthest waterfall in the area. We needed to follow the river upstream. But the locals pointed out a way for us to reach Sampaloc falls without crossing Batya Batya falls. We did not want to cross Batya Batya not just because of the 18 ft pool but because we were already carrying our packs which we did not want to be soaked with water. After walking several distances from the hut, we saw a trail to the left. I was convinced it was the trail to Sampaloc falls but Wilson second guessed. We turned left only to find ourselves in a thick bushy forest. It was difficult because we were going through a bulky system of shrubs and bushes. I looked at my left leg and I saw a big mosquito. Just an inch below it, I saw a small elongated thing hanging from my leg. At first I thought there were two big mosquitoes on my leg. But after staring carefully at it, I was alarmed when I realized that it was a limatik! It was one of those dreaded creepy crawlies that we encountered in Mt. Makiling. I hastily backed off informing them of the limatik hanging on my leg.

So I realized that it was a wrong turn and Wilson guided the way to what he said the right way was. We reached the left path with the signage and we were greeted by a 75 degree steep slope. It was a four wheel drive to the top of the unforgiving hill. I became very worried about the possibility of limatiks in the area. I was paranoid. Every minute I had the opportunity I checked my hands and feet. We reached the top of the hill and luckily saw a local whom we asked if we were finally on the right track. He affirmed and we were happy. But my happiness was soon cut when I saw two limatiks crawling on my left foot! I was surprised and I shouted, ‘limatiiiiik!’. After using a flick of my finger, I ran from the horror of the site. Liz, Filimon, Gino and Wilson stopped to check if there were really limatiks in the area or I was just hallucinating. Wilson confirmed that there were two or three that he saw. Liz, Gino and Filimon were fascinated to search for it but I was not because I knew how thirsty they were for blood. The limatik scare made our trek faster.

But my scare did not stop. We stopped to check on Tabo Tabo, the third level of the falls. After successfully going around Batya Batya falls, I feared for the worst. We now had to follow the river upstream which means that we will be passing through wet bushes so the tiny leeches were most likely present. And I was right! Another jumped into my feet, started sucking blood. I was ready to brush it off with my fingers but I stopped and recorded it using my camera. When I could not take the sight of a leech in my foot, I asked Wilson to remove it for me. The leech sightings continued as we pass through the riverside. After passing through the bushes, Liz saw her foot bleeding. She was bit by the bloodsuckers! And so were Filimon and Wilson. Gino claimed that a leech crawled on his foot but he was never bitten. There was an option to follow the waddling path of the river or cross directly to the bushes for a faster course. I always chose the first one because I was convinced that there were more limatiks in the bushes rather than in the rocky riverside. Liz, Gino and Wilson chose the shortcuts in the bush while Filimon accompanied me to the rocks. I got bruised by a rock in an attempt to catch the three campers. A total of seven limatiks crawled and sucked blood from me. It was still not as much as the twenty plus limatiks that crawled on me in Mt. Makiling.






































9. SAMPALOC FALLS

After almost an hour of trekking upstream, we finally heard the thunderous sound of our fifth and final falls: Sampaloc falls. Mission accomplished! I must agree that it was the most spectacular falls that we visited. However, I did not appreciate the situation because of the thought of going back to the dreaded limatik infested trail. Liz was also pissed at the blood which continuously flowed from her foot. It was Gino who maximized the falls as he swam its entirety. Wilson started to prepare our lunch. We were the only campers in the area because Sampaloc falls is hardly ever accessed by regular campers. You need guts to face the long and winding trail and resistance from the tiny, hungry leeches.

I helped Liz and Wilson in preparing our lunch. I went back for the utensils in my pack and sat down. I saw one fat limatik on my leg and I was startled again! I finally told myself I had it with these bloodsuckers! They spoiled my Sampaloc falls experience. After eating our lunch, the sky warned us of rain. I wanted to curse because not only would it make the trail more slippery but it would also attract an army of leeches to go out from their hiding asylum. I was not feeling well. I desperately prayed for a helicopter to rescue us in the Sampaloc falls area. Thankfully a heavy downpour did not occur. After bathing in the falls, we prepared for our journey back.

Wilson opened a discussion on the possibility of taking a different route back. The locals told us that there exists a path to the right, facing Sampaloc falls, which will lead us to a quicker trail to the jump off point. Even though I was not thrilled with going back to the limatik infested trail, I did not succumbed into Wilson’s idea becaue we could not see that ‘right’ path. But after walking through the rocks, Wilson saw a path going to the right, up the hill. After giving it some thoughts, I decided to take the risk and follow the unfamiliar path. We shouted at Filimon and Gino who were in the lead at that time. We went up the hill and I was relieved because it was a clearing area, away from the river, and definitely away from the leeches. But the problem with that direction was the existence of a lot of forks. So I relied on my trail reading ability. Although the problem with the second fork was that the banana tree looked like fell there to block the trail naturally. So we had a dilemma, whether to go right which was all clearing, or turn left which was going upwards. We turned right first, but then changed course and headed left.



10. MY FIRST TRAVERSE

It was really a gamble and we did not know if it would pay out. The path was long and endless. There was one point when we considered turning back and go the same direction that will bring us back to nanay’s hut. But I was stubborn to quit. Since we already started it, we might as well go with our decision. It was not like the Mt. Makiling expedition that I called over due to safety precaution. The trail that we were following was not that dangerous. The only danger was that we did not know where we were heading. We found a ranch but there was no one there. We walked and walked and found a wooden gate which I was correct in insisting to my friends was the opening of the ranch. It marked the owner’s territory. We went over the fence and headed, to my demise, the river again! There were two paths. One was a path which represented the same old path that we were following. Another was a path down the river and up the hill again. I insisted on the straight path. But Wilson insisted that we should cross the river and go up. I did not want to discuss it further because I had been wrong during the first left from nanay’s hut. I still insisted on my path but agreed to check out Wilson’s.

After crossing the river, my fear set in again. I saw a big, fat, satisfied leech at the back of Wilson’s foot. I pointed it to him but he did not mind it, saying that he will get even with the bloodsucker later. After several minutes, two limatiks clung to my foot and sucked blood from it. After flicking it with my fingers I became paranoid again. I had been bitten already by ten leeches. On top of a hill was a hut. We were relieved to see human beings again. And to my surprise, I was right with my path all along! Wilson’s path was the way to the local’s house. We rested there for a moment and politely asked for the local to get us some coconut from the trees. As I was sitting down, another limatik came in sight. It started sucking blood but I removed it using a leaf. Gino pointed out that I was a limatik magnet because he had not been bitten and Liz, Filimon and Gino had just been decently bit at least thrice only. Wilson pushed through with his experiment of seeing how a limatik reacts with sodium chloride. He pulled out the bag of salt he had in his pack and poured some to the fat limatik on his back. It self destructed. He put it in a stick and it regurgitated by throwing up the blood that it had just sucked. Every grain of salt seemed like a missile that destroyed it. After several minutes, the leech died.

When it was our time to go, it never really dawned on me that I was about to complete my first traverse. The local told us that should we follow my trail down the hill, we would soon see ourselves in the town of Pakil in Laguna. She also explained that the presence of the limatiks were due to the horses in the area. These leeches feast on cow or horse’s blood. Before we head back, I poured some wet salt in my feet. It was an experiment to see if it will ward off these bloodsuckers. And it was a successful experiment because no leech clung to my feet on our way down and after crossing the river. But I was still paranoid. I got nutty when we were delayed because Gino had to take another bowel movement near the stream. I feared that staying long in a particular spot might attract the leeches. Every now and then I would replenish my salt weapon and sprinkle it in my feet. We headed to my trail and it was straight from then on. We reached an elevated hill where we saw the house of the local where we accidentally visited. The experience became more fulfilling for me as we saw the hills of Sinloan, Laguna that we saw and conquered. After three hours of hiking, we saw a private land which offered a marvelous landscape of Laguna Lake and its towns. We grabbed that opportunity to take pictures. When we were ready to go, a small limatik sprung from my foot but this time, I was not that alarmed. With a flick of my finger, it came shooting in the air like a calculated projectile. Twelve leeches. I thought that was all when I saw a small dead leech inside my nose! It was not as horrible as the leech inside Wilson’s eye in Mt. Makiling but it was still a disturbing thought. Thirteen leeches. And that’s all there was. After several minutes more, we reached a land which separated the paved road from the rough hiking path. I wanted to kiss the cemented road. We were back to civilization!

We chanced upon a family who was surveying the area and asked if the falls was near. We told our hiking story and disappointed the kid that they could not make it to the falls. At least not at that time. We rode a tricycle which dropped us to the highway. We wanted to report the robbing incident but there were no officers in the barangay hall. We rode a jeepney and settled in the town of Siniloan where we were filled our hungry stomachs and tired spirits with a nice Jollibee meal J. Despite the mishaps of being hit in the face with a rock, being robbed, having my tent slashed and being bitten by thirteen leeches, this New Year climb was very much fulfilling. In fact, these series of unfortunate events made my climb memorable. It probably will be one of my best adventures this year. We were able to conquer the five waterfalls of Mt. Romelo and surprisingly did our first traverse!




No comments:

Post a Comment