Friday, October 29, 2010

MT. MACULOT

 “BAWAL MALIKOT SA ROCKIES NG MT. MACULOT”
JUNE 13, 2009




MT. MACULOT

I. Cuenca
II. Jump Off Point
III. Climber's Courtesy
IV. 7-11
V. Rockies
VI. Water Source




  1. CUENCA
I enjoyed my two mountain experience last summer that I was craving for another one. This time, we were heading to Mt. Maculot in Cuenca, Batangas. I learned that it was an easy climb so I targeted it for a one day fun climb. It was even more relieving when we learned that our friends’ hometown is Cuenca. We could perhaps prepare at their house before the climb, rest and wash up after.


We were supposed to be seven climbers. But Tela backed out that morning due to some feminine stuff. Damn monthly periods. Blecille and her boyfriend were with us already at the Jam bus station but her impatient boyfriend decided to not come with us. Damn impatient boyfriends. So it was only Maricon, Mau, Wilson and I who boarded the bus going to Batangas.


The trip to Batangas was a long one. We alighted from the bus at the end of the Star toll way and rode a jeepney going to the bridge which was under construction. It was due to this bridge that we opted not to stay at the bus because it would be much longer for it had to go around some more towns in Batangas. It was like a canopy walk from the mini bridge constructed temporarily for those who wanted to pass by. At that point I saw a tall, lone mountain from afar. Wow, Mt. Maculot!






  1. JUMP OFF POINT
We stopped by Mau’s house for preparations. It was already noon and the sun was hot when we headed for Mt. Maculot. We bought water for hydration and then rode a tricycle until the jump off point. I registered our names and paid the registration fee at the ranger booth and found out that there were other hikers who already climbed that day.

We took off at the mountaineer’s store where we were not so sure where to go. At first, we entered a house’ backyard thinking that the trail was just around it. And then we were asked by a local what we were doing there and where we’re going. We said we were going to climb Mt. Maculot. He figured out that it was our first time and showed us the real way. It was quite embarrassing.

We became more comfortable when we saw the ‘To Mt. Maculot’ signboard. It was a straight path where we could still see some local’s houses. But we were all joking when we realized that we were having difficulty walking through a road with a slight angle of elevation. When the road got narrower, the thrill began. And several minutes later, we were at the entry point of the forest of Mt. Maculot. We rested and rehydrated. After that, we were confronted with a fork but thanks to PinoyMountaineer.com, I knew the correct path that will take us to the campsite.

















  1. III. CLIMBER’S COURTESY
The assault started. The mountain was classified with an only 2/9 difficulty but it was much difficult for beginners like us. Thankfully, there were established stopovers on the way and there were locals stationed through the forest selling fresh buko juice. Whenever we saw these stopovers we would stop, catch our breaths and drink water. In some cases, we would eat some of the hotdogs that we prepared. Every time that we saw the buko juice stations, we would stop by and buy one. The local selling the juice was friendly but was very quiet. She had her kids with her. I had a realization that they needed to climb this mountain everyday for a living. But later on I found out that she only sells during weekends and some days where the anticipated volume of mountaineers are high, like during Holy Week.

On the way, we encountered many mountaineers going down the mountain. They would all smile at us and greet us ‘good afternoon ma’am, good afternoon sir.’ Because we were not really mountaineers yet, we did not know that it is a tradition of every mountaineer to greet climbers that they would see in the trail. We call it climber’s courtesy. At first, we would stop and think that it was weird in a sense. But later on, we adopted the catchphrase and greeted those mountaineers that we pass or thank them after wishing us good luck.

There were also times when we would rest with other mountaineers at a buko juice station. I took this opportunity to converse with them about mountain climbing. They would always enumerate the mountains that they conquered. Mt. Pico de Loro, Mt. Banahaw, Mt. Batulao and Mt. Talamitam were among the box office answers. I would brag about my encounter with the limatiks in Mt. Makiling and prove it by showing Wilson’s eye which was still red at that time. The story of the limatik in the eye was a box office as well. I learned that mountain climbing is an adventure for all ages. There were men, women and kids from different walks of life. Their aim was to have an incredible adventure, a one of a kind experience and another tale to tell.







  1. 7-11
When we were at the heart of the forest of Mt. Maculot, I was surprised to see millipedes with the size of an eggplant! They were mostly present on the trail. At first, I was hesitant to focus my attention on them but it later became a fascination when I learned that they were harmless. I even recorded a clip of these large bugs using my video camera.

It was an exhausting assault. When we reached the clearing area, the view became amazing. From there, we saw a cove and Taal lake at the leftside of the view. We saw the plains of Batangas and the other neighboring mountains. Mt. Maculot is special in a way that it is the only lone mountain in the region with a typical mountain shape. Therefore, it is very easy to recognize it if you are at the peaks of other mountains. When we reached the clearing surrounded by many tall grasses, I was really very tired. I wanted to rest but I was very eager on getting to the campsite. It was like my knees were going to break. The sun was an opposing agent because its heat added pressure on our exhaustion. But after some few more leg breaking, forced steps, we reached the campsite of Mt. Maculot.

We pitched our small tent and prepared for lunch. I was delighted to see and learn about the other classes of tent which were pitched there. One wonderful thing which made the campsite of Mt. Maculot popular was the presence of this halo-halo store which mountaineers often refer to as 7-11. After we ate our lunch, we ordered halo-halo from the store. There were campers there already, and there were some more arriving. There was one group which was lead by a 10-year old looking boy which caught the attention of those who were there including us. I tried to converse with a group of girls who were asking me to join them in the anticipated socials. Socials is a regular bonding activity for mountaineers in their campsite. They huddle themselves up and tell stories, bond and speak with fellow mountaineers usually accompanied by alcohol. But we were on a day hike. Frustrating. At some point I doubted that I wanted to stay for the night’s socials.






  1.  ROCKIES
After some relaxation at the campsite, we headed to the famous Rockies! Because it was our first time, we got through the wrong path at first. We reached this foul smelling space which I refer to as the mountaineer’s comfort room. But by the time that the Rockies was in sight, excitement rushed in my system. This would be an awesome and extreme Mt. Maculot experience!

Crossing Rockies was a thrilling experience. Maricon at first refused to go with us because the images of the cliffs were great but nerve wrecking at the same time. But I assured her that she can do it and conquer her fears. Mau and Wilson were already at the assault to Rockies when I assisted Maricon through the walk of death. But death would be an exaggeration because if ever you fall from the cliff on the mini knife’s edge, there were lots of grassy rooms to fall down to. But the feeling for first timers like us might likewise be associated to death. The path was a little slippery even though it was not wet. We had to be extra careful because there was a cliff on our left side…and another one on our right! But we reached the base of the Rockies and we started the assault. Mau and Wilson were already shouting with delight because they were already at the top. After several more step upwards, and some more caterpillar sightings, Maricon and I reached the top of the Rockies!

Rockies offered us a spectacular view of the Taal volcano. It was an amazing 360 degree view of Batangas. The only frustrating part of it was that we could feel the sun’s heat. And there was hardly any shade at the top of Rockies. After enjoying the view and some picture taking, we descended Rockies and went back to campsite.






  1. WATER SOURCE
When we got to the campsite, I was overthrown with the idea of climbing the summit. But the campers there, the girls and the 7-11 store manager, discouraged me telling me that climbing the summit was difficult and the views were not as amazing as the Rockies’. I was more disappointed in them because I wanted to appreciate Mt. Maculot and every wonders that it can offer me. But when I looked up, I saw a group of dark clouds inhabiting the summit. Wilson assumed that it might be raining there already.

Because of the conversation with the locals, we learned that there is a water source near the campsite. We prepared to trek down and check the water source. The descent was slippery because there were wet parts in the trail. On our way down, we encountered different flora. There were trees with toothed stems. A careless hiker who just immediately grabs branches and stems of trees for support would be a most likely victim by its jagged blades. Several steps more and we could still not hear any signs of water. There were doubts on our minds but we still continued. After all, it was just a straight path down and the locals will surely not play a trick on us. At last, we reached the water source.

I was disappointed at the first sight of the water source. It was a tiny still water being contained by a wall from a rock formation. I was like “Heto na yun? Heto na yung binaba natin ng napakatagal?” There were lots of mosquito larvae in it. But near it, we saw a hose attached to a faucet. It was incredible to see a faucet in the middle of the jungle. And I meant no sarcasm there. We put the hose down and water came out. We were surprised to see it was clean. Or it looked like it was clean. It was refreshing to wash from the water being released by the hose. Then Wilson said he remembered that the locals mentioned that we can drink from this water. I was unconvinced that it was safe. But my friends tried to take a sip of the water. After Maricon did, Mau put some in his container for reserve. But after examining closely the water through his container we noticed that there were at least one or two mosquito larvae there! Then I comically asked Maricon to describe to us the taste of the larvae infested water.



But many mountaineers and locals rely on this water source. The water that the 7-11 was selling was in fact, water from this tiny spring water. And most probably, the water in that halo-halo that we enjoyed earlier was also this water. It seemed clean and safe and they said that no one has ever died out of drinking from it. It was very surprising to see the choices and the situation that you can encounter when you are not within the bounds of your comfort zone. Mountaineering offered me to experience this splendid truth about life. Sometimes, you have to eat dirty, experience some mud on your feet, have a close encounter with the different flora and fauna, and live simple for you to truly live life.


It was time to go down the mountain and wash up at Mau’s house. Our co-campers were sad to hear that we were not staying for the nights’ socials. It would have been my first socials if I decided to stay. But aside from not making it to the socials, I did not also reach the summit of Mt. Maculot. But my experience here opened my eyes towards the things that I will not learn if I had not climbed this mountain. The experience and knowledge that I gained here were preparations for me to widen my interest in conquering mountains. I will definitely be back here more prepared and ready to conquer its peak.





No comments:

Post a Comment