Wednesday, November 3, 2010

MT. MARAMI

“MARAMING PUTIK SA MT. MARAMI
July 18-19, 2009
                              


MT. MARAMI
I.           Magallanes
II.         Muddy Trail
III.      Lost
IV.       Cows And Broken Tent
V.         Morning Exploration
VI.       Silyang Bato
VII.    Shiver
VIII.  Bruises And Cuts
IX.       Civilization
X.         800 mL Of RC




I.            MAGALLANES
Three weeks after the unforgettable Mt. Pico de Loro climb, I saw myself conquering another mountain – Mt. Marami. I specifically requested for this mountain because it has some resemblance to Mt. Pico de Loro. It is also a minor climb with a 3/9 difficulty, and is also located in Cavite. However, if Mt. Pico de Loro was unforgettable in a pure positive sense, Mt. Marami was the mountain which made me miserable in a lot of sense. They say each mountain has its own wonders; it was just not as thrilling as my previous climb. But still, the adventure was a treasure to keep.

            Julie and Simply of the unofficial Young Mountaineers of Bulacan were with me again. They brought their boyfriends Mark and Alvin. I brought my best friend Gino on the trip. We were with Sir Anthony Go and the Dahong Palay mountaineers. Just like before, my small group with the exception of Mark, stayed at Simply’s house before the climb. I was not sure that this climb will push through because the weather was very bad the whole week. It was still raining cats and dogs even if the storm had passed. Julie was also feeling the same apprehension. But despite the unstable weather condition, we still prepared and left for Baclaran the next day. As Sir Anthony said, “Rain or rain, tuloy tayo.”

The morning was promising because the sky was blue with fair white clouds. We met with Mark at Cubao and with two cabs we went to Baclaran to meet with our co-climbers. We boarded the same bus. I was still the scribe in the group. We also stopped by the market of Cavite to shop for things, mostly food, needed for the climb. Everything seemed to be replicating our last climb. But we were not turning to Ternate this time, we went left to Magallanes.

Mt. Marami is under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Maragondon but its jump off point is in Magallanes. It was everyone’s first time so we needed a guide. I learned from PinoyMountaineer website that there are lots of forks in Mt. Marami. I had one possible guide, I got from the same website, who was also being contacted by Sir Nono of DPM. We reached the municipal hall of Magallanes to register. Then, our supposed guide, Sir Mau, lead us to the jump off point. But he had some errands to run so we hired another guide, a local farmer this time with a machete on his belt. Before the trek started, we huddled in a grassy space where we took group pictures.





II.          MUDDY TRAIL
                The hike began with a fair stretch of walking until we got to the nipa hut where we ate lunch. The smell of the trail was a mixture of wet grass, wet soil and wet horse poop. We settled and ate lunch. It was nice to see everyone enjoying the earlier moments of our trek as we ate our food. Gino and I only bought ours from the market contrary to the others who prepared their food at home. Julie and Mark had a to-go Jollibee meal. The other mountaineers were huddled together. We were done with our lunch when it started to rain. It was not a good sign because it meant that the trail would be muddier and difficult. I water proofed myself and my backpack by wearing one of the unused trash bag. I also had to protect my video camera from being wet. When everyone else had their ponchos and other rain protection, we continued with our hike.

As we got further and further, the trail got very muddy. Some of us were slipping. The most worrying part was that descent before the bridge. The soil and the plants were very slippery instead of helping as a stopping agent. We reached the first bridge crossing. I wanted to document that part of the trail but because of the rain, my video camera was double sealed in a plastic most of the time. We were walking for almost two hours and there were still no signs of the summit. The next bridge crossing was a fluke. Everyone did not trust the second bridge because it constantly creaked. So we crossed the river by ourselves instead. The trail was very muddy. The difficulty of 3/9 seemed to be understated because of the wet trail. There were a lot of casualties. I slipped hard when we were descending and there were barely any plants to hold for support. It did hurt. My co-climbers were very worried and we had to stop for five minutes. My ass was still aching but we continued. Then, people started to slip more frequent. Gino and the other mountaineer got their feet stuck in the mud. It was really messy and muddy. I slipped several times because my sandals were not fit for this kind of trail. My left sandal broke when my foot got stuck in the mud two feet deep. Gino made me wear his and I just tied mine at my pack. Good thing that his sandals were less slippery. We stopped over by the clearing and everyone was exhausted and dirty! The view from the clearing was nice but I failed to pay more attention because of the miserable trek. It was one of the worst treks in my life. I hated that I did not have a mud resistant footwear.





III.       LOST
                We were walking for three hours when Silyang Bato came in to sight. I felt a relief upon seeing our destination. It looked near but it was not. It still was a long way to go! Alvin continuously complained that it was still very far. The trail became less muddy and the view was beginning to be more scenic. The new obstacles though were the presence of talahibs. It was like a blade when it crossed our skin. This continued for some time. Our co-climbers were concerned that we would not reach campsite before sundown. 
After a stop over near the stream and a false limatik alarm, we reached the gate going to Mt. Marami. The mountain was a fairly new discovery and the trail was not that established. We got lost. Sir Anthony, Gino and I lead a search mission to find the trail. We were going into thick thorny bushes, surveying the trees and soil for a path. There should be a trail going up the campsite but we could not find it. After some time, Sir Nono shouted that he found the trail. It was really hard to find. The trek commenced when we reached our campsite. It was already dark. I was just happy that the agonizing hike was over for that day.





           IV.        COWS AND BROKEN TENT
            We set up our camp. Out of mixed exhaustion and frustration, I did not realize that I pulled the string of my tent so hard it broke. I became more frustrated. It was just the second time I will be using that tent and it was broken already. Great. What a nice day one at Mt. Marami. We used Alvin’s tent instead. My day was so miserable that I immediately rested after me and my friends played cards inside our tent. I felt pain in many parts of my body especially my feet. The pain during my first fall five hours ago was still there. My head was aching also and I suspected that I will have fever in no time.
                Julie, Mark, Gino and I settled inside Alvin’s tent. Simply and Alvin were in my small, blue California tent. We used my broken green tent as a floor sheet. We were lying down when we heard a commotion outside. There were cows in our campsite! Or maybe the right juxtaposition is that we were in their territory! Our co-climbers kept on shooing them away but they would not go away. They interfered with the dinner preparation. When dinner was served, they were trying to nab whatever food they can take. It was as if the grass around were not abundant enough that they also wanted to chew our rice. I went out and picked my food. After eating, I went inside the tent to continue my rest. Mark massaged my sore feet. I could feel the cow near me. The only thing separating my head from the cow’s head was the thin tent sheet.
               
I woke up and heard that the socials was about to start. All our co-climbers invited us but Julie, Gino and I opted to stay inside our tent. I knew that socials is essential to complete your mountaineering experience but I was just not feeling well that day. From out group, it was only Mark who stayed during the whole socials. When it was 4AM, he went inside our tent, slightly drunk. He hugged and kissed his girlfriend Julie and apologized for being drunk.




V.           MORNING EXPLORATION
            I woke up on day two realizing I missed the sunrise. I got up and felt better. I still had headache but my feet were feeling a little better. I got out of the tent and saw the beautiful sceneries. It was the first time I saw the majestic surroundings because we arrived late at the campsite on day one. I saw Silyang Bato from afar. What got my attention was our co-climbers shouting at Gino jokingly accusing him of taking a bowel movement. He was up the hill exploring by himself. When he walked back at the campsite he told me he wanted to survey the top of the hill. After washing my face, brushing my teeth and putting some deo on, we went up the hill.
                Going up was easier than the hike the day before. Although there was no trail, there were tall grasses to hold for balance. After several u-turns and dead ends, we reached the top. We saw a fence full of barbed wires with a sign saying keep out. Gino and I were always looking for extreme thrills so we went over the fence. There were lots of cows grazing in the area. We took pictures and looked around. It looked like we reached the summit of Mt. Marami! Certainly, Silyang Bato was not the highest point there although it was the main attraction of Mt. Marami. The keep out sign was only to ward hikers off from disturbing the peaceful lives of the cattle there. But when the bushes got thornier, we decided to end our exploration and headed back to camp. I was concerned of being left as the plan was to go to Silyang Bato first thing that morning.





VI.        SILYANG BATO
                The others were preparing to leave for Silyang Bato when Gino and I reached camp again. We hurriedly prepared by applying some off lotion on our arms and legs. Then I learned that Julie, Simply and Alvin were not going with us. I was disappointed. I reiterated that even though Silyang Bato was not the summit, it was one of the spectacles of Mt. Marami. But it was their choice so Gino, Mark and I left with the other mountaineers. The way to Silyang Bato was a straight one. And we learned that there was a water source near our camp. The path to Silyang Bato took about half an hour. When we were almost there, it was like level one rock climbing. One mountaineer ahead of us startled us by saying that there was a wandering snake on the trail. Because of this, we detoured to a rougher rock climb. But to sum it up, going to Silyang Bato was so much easy compared to the first day’s trek. There was another prominent rock formation which resembled the shape of a man’s private organ. We named it titing bato.

            I was surprised to see the summit of Mt. Pico de Loro from a distance. I tried to contain myself from comparing Mt. Marami with Mt. Pico de Loro because I wanted to pay respects to the mountain I was currently at. But upon reaching the top of Silyang Bato, the feeling towards Mt. Marami reached a totally different perspective. I felt chills after seeing the spectacular view. It offered a majestic angle of the Maragondon mountains and the provinces around. From the constant disappointments I had so far, it was the first time I felt great about the adventure. The 360 degree view was as stunning as that of Mt. Pico de Loro. There were lots of pictures taken. It was clean and green everywhere. Our other companions spearheaded a series of jump shot. Gino, Mark and I went to the green clearing to explore and take pictures. It was an incredible place and a nice bonding experience. Bad thing that Julie, Simply and Alvin were not there. After enjoying what Silyang Bato had to offer, we headed back to our camp.



VII.      SHIVER
                It was time for break camp. We cleaned the campsite. We washed some of our things and ourselves with the running water that we had discovered. Then I noticed something which was not good. The thing I feared most was in the offing once again. The clouds were getting thicker and darker. We transferred from our campsite to a more shaded place near the water source. Rain poured down and it became colder. The situation was becoming miserable again. Gino and I sat with our backs against each other for support. While waiting for lunch, we lie down covering our bodies with whatever that can cover it. We could not resist the sheer coldness of the weather. We were both shivering. I noticed something going on between Simply and Alvin. It was a lover’s quarrel moment. Julie and Mark’s story was different. This was their anniversary climb and it definitely brought them closer together. And I can say that my friendship with Gino was strengthened. So even if we were in the most miserable place, there were lots of good things that could still happen.

            Lunch was served. It was one of the most beautiful lunch for me. I was hungry and was really looking forward to it. Gino and I shared in his newly washed plastic ware while the other mountaineers were very accommodating in asking us what we wanted. We were still, after all, the ‘kids’ in the group. Ma’am Sam of DPM gave me a tablet for my fever. We did a final packing of things with the cows still trying to get our attention. Then, we started our long journey back to civilization.




VIII.    BRUISES AND CUTS
                Every descent was supposed to be half the total time of the ascent. But not this time. It was a very long and muddy trek back. The first phase was getting to the gate. It was still smooth with a couple of almost-slips. Simply and Alvin were still arguing. Simply was not allowing Alvin to carry her bag. Gino and I were in the lead with Sir Anthony and Sir Edrik followed by the other Young Mountaineers of Bulacan and finally followed by the other mountaineers mostly from DPM.
            
Several minutes after the gate we were inside the forest again. We stopped by the small stream. We freshened up and rehydrated. After that, Sir Anthony, Sir Edrik, Gino and I left while the last batch of mountaineers in our group were still resting. The path was straight but it became muddier. After some time, I rested my hand at a big rock. While catching my breath, I realized that the rock had several tiny black caterpillars on it. I quickly removed my hand but I got a cut on my palm. It bled profusely. During the first few hours I could still see Sir Anthony, Sir Edrik, Gino and another co-climber with a trekking pole. But when the mud turned into a despicable obstacle, I became slower. Gino was waiting for me sometimes but he also needed to assist himself for he was also slipping sometimes. My technique to avoid the mud was to walk along the plants. It worked as a stopper this time but it has its own downside. There was one moment when I was in the small bushes and I lifted my left foot, there were blood all over. The bushes had many thorns in it. I had at least five scratches on my left foot. This replicated in my arms and legs. Blood was present in my limbs. It was yet another chapter of a miserable and muddy trek. This time blood was involved. 
There was a moment of solitude when Sir Anthony, Sir Edrik, a co-climber and Gino were far ahead of me and Simply, Julie and Mark were far behind.  I was alone in the trail! I could not see any of those who were ahead. At the same time, no one was coming close from those at my back. But actually, I liked this part of my hike. I was not so worried for being embarrassed to death if I fall. I also appreciated nature especially the view when the clearing came to sight. My alone time trekking was overwhelming. I became one with nature.




IX.        CIVILIZATION
                Probably the best part of the hike was when we reached the river. When it came to sight, I saw Sir Anthony, Sir Edrik and Gino taking a nice shower in the water. I was very excited. After crossing, I put my pack down and washed my body in the river. We learned the interval of each other in the hike when they started arriving at the river one by one. All of us washed there. The first to wash up, including me, were the first ones to leave the river.

 By the time we hit mainland and we pass by some locals, the notorious thorny bushes and talahibs lessened but the mud was still abundant. When we rested in a grassy area, I was so hungry that I grabbed a lunch box at my pack. It was Julie’s food! Gino and I shared but I must confess that I ate most of it. After all, it might be spoiled if it will remain sealed inside my pack. The journey seemed endless. If we hiked up for five hours, we hiked down with that time as well. And I was very certain with that. I thought that we made a wrong turn at some point during our trek down. Instead of following the shorter trail, we walked the wrong path.

            After several long hours, a familiar structure came in to sight, the first bridge! After crossing, a local told us that there was a shortcut to civilization and would cut at least thirty minutes of the hike. Gino and I were in the lead this time and we took the shortcut. It was fast but it was steeper and more difficult. I had to catch my breath after a cardiac trail going up. Then, several more minutes, I heard loud music. We were almost there! We could hear the loud radio and smell the horse’s poop which was prominent in the initial part of the trail. My knees were already hurting but it was like a race to the finish line. The faster I come to the drop off point, the longer I could rest waiting for the others. I made it. We were back at the jump off point with the bus already there waiting. Ate Bhel thought that we were tortured from the way we looked. We were harassed by the tough trail. Ate Bhel said she could not wait to see the look of our female friends. She suspected that they were dirty and will be complaining about the trek. The locals there were fascinated on our look. We were dirty, muddy and sweaty and our skin was bruised. The horrific trek was a nightmare but I was glad it was over. I was not happy about the miserable trek, broken tent, missed socials and sunrise and the painful cuts from the talahibs and thorny bushes but I was not regretting anything that happened as well.



X.           800 mL OF RC
                After dropping my pack at the bus, I immediately looked for a store. But the first few stores had no cold soda available! I walked and walked and walked. I was not in the mountain anymore but I was still walking. Finally, I found a store which offered an ice cold soda. I bought one 800 mL of RC cola and some junk food. After five minutes, I drank all of the 800 mL of RC! Imagine the thirst and exhaustion!  I went back to the bus and some of our co-climbers were already there. Ate Bhel served hot saba courtesy of the kind local there. When everyone was there, I told Gino about the soda store. We were about to go there when I volunteered to buy soda for our other fellow climbers. And a lot ordered. After walking, Gino also managed to drink 800 mL of soda. I still bought some for myself and for our companions. We went back and I firmly sat on my bus seat. At last, the journey was over and it was time to go home.

            We had the same side trip: Buenaflor beach resort. I tried to enjoy that afternoon. We swam and socialized with our fellow climbers. It was already dark when we went back to the bus. We arrived in Baclaran at almost 11 in the evening. Our co-climbers and our friends planned on sipping chicken soup at a nearby store but I was not in the mood to go with them. I would just like to go home and rest. So Gino and I waved goodbye. Simply, Julie, Alvin and Mark also decided to go home instead. We were all very tired. After a quick Jollibee midnight snack at Cubao, Julie and Mark separated ways with us. I was left with Simply, Alvin and Gino. It was 3AM when we got to Bulacan. It was already difficult to get transportation. We were all worn out and waiting for a public jeepney added an agony to it. At last we were home. Gino and I could not hide the scars and bruises from my mom who asked us where we went.

            This was a not-so-good first time at Mt. Marami. The scars of the cuts were present in my legs for several more days. I told myself that I will not go back to Mt. Marami. But I think the thing that sabotaged us was not the mountain but the weather. So maybe I will give Mt. Marami a second chance again in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment